We consider this to be absolutely the best palm for your garden. We believe this palm will one day replace the common Trachycarpus fortunei as most popular palm as it can be considered superior in many ways.
Our reasons for thinking this :
- Trachycarpus wagnerianus is very tolerant to cold in combination with humidity
- It has small, stiff leaves, more suitable for small gardens
- Due to the shape (bonsai like) it is enormously appealling both as a young and as a mature plant
- In my experience keeping this palm potted in winter close to a wall should pose no problem
- It has a great tolerance of wind, which is the major enemy of Trachycarpus fortunei
- It is the perfect choice for coastal situations
- Trachycarpus wagnerianus has an excellent root system and is very tolerant of transplantation.
Unlike Trachycarpus fortunei the palm seems to originate from Japan and Korea at higher latitudes. This means the palm is forced to continually adapt to summer heat and humidity combined with extreme winter cold, making it by far the most adaptable cold hardy palm in existence.
Otherwise very similar in cultural requirements to Trachycarpus fortunei.
Buy Trachycarpus wagnerianus online now!